“One Blood” is definitely the best constructed episode of this show so far. It’s not perfect, but it’s a damn sight better than most of the previous half of the season, and it’s the first episode that I’ve finished with a real feeling that the story is moving along.
What I liked:
- Dutch and Khlyen having interactions that help us understand some more of their history together.
- Fancy. Sean Baek is seriously gorgeous, and he needs a bigger role in this show. He thinks that a trio is a bad idea, so maybe he should join up with Dutch and company to make it a foursome.
- Dutch’s decision at the end to take active action and go after Khlyen to try and figure out what the hell is going on in the Quad. Finally something is happening to further the overall plot of the series.
What I didn’t like:
- I do not understand Pawter’s seeming obsession with D’avin. He’s just not that great, to be honest, and I don’t really understand why she is so willing to risk herself to help him when he’s clearly not that into her.
- I feel like the show is pushing D’avin and Dutch together, but again, D’avin just isn’t that great.
- The whole “black warrant” thing was, frankly, just plain silly. Sure, maybe D’avin got to “meet the family,” but basically none of them mattered at all except for Fancy. Also, I’m increasingly not on board with the show’s attempts to make being a killjoy seem like a sort of fun thing. No amount of banter and camaraderie is going to cover up that these folks are bounty hunters and paid killers who do most of their work for an evil corporation running a tyrannical government. This needs to be dealt with at some point.
To be fair, this episode definitely felt like things are moving–albeit slowly–towards addressing the ethical issues of being paid killers for an oppressive government. There are four episodes left in this season, and I’m starting to feel a little hopeful that we’ll get some sort of resolution to all of this stuff. Which would be nice, since there’s still no word on if Killjoys will be getting a second season.