Well, this is the end of 2017, and thank fuck for that. I’m very busy with working on various Best of 2017 lists and looking forward to 2018 stuff that will be published over the next week or so, and 2017 seems intent on ending by giving me an absolutely splitting headache. I’ll be spending the rest of the night popping aspirin and probably going to bed well before midnight, but in the meantime, here are the last links of the year.
Foz Meadows has a breakdown of a writing contest scam that decided to target writers on Christmas Day.
There’s a good interview at Lightspeed with Louise Erdrich about her new book, Future Home of the Living God.
At Tor.com, Michael Livingston explains why A Knight’s Tale is his favorite medieval movie.
Also at Tor.com, a pretty comprehensive list of sci-fi and fantasy movies and television to look forward to in 2018.
Electric Literature lists 46 Books by Women of Color to Read in 2018.
Smugglivus continues (and will keep going until January 7):
- 8 Special Episodes That Remind Me There’s Still Magic in the Holidays by Michi Trota
- Smugglivus Recs by Jim C. Hines
- Geeky Games for the Holidays
- Memory, Music and Joy: Pixar’s Coco
- Media Comfort Foods by S.L. Huang
- Looking Ahead: A Comfort List for 2018 by Barbary Morais
- Books That Got Me Through 2017 – Juliet Kemp’s Smugglivus Post
- Games of Smugglivus with Andrea K. Höst (You can also check out Höst’s influences and inspirations for her Touchstone Trilogy.)
- On Other People’s Achievements
There’s a new Doctor: